Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Superbowl. ESPN VIVO

Yes, I did watch the superbowl on sunday. Even in Chile, ESPN vivo broadcasts Americano Fùtbol, Êl Superbowl, over South American Soccer. This is the first time I´ve ever seen preference to american sports over soccer in my 10 weeks here.

As we sat in a touristy sports bar with big screen TV`s, anxiously anticipating the game and commercials, the spanish broadcasters had a similar pregame show that we would see in the US. They did the stupid ^mini field^ infront of the stadium, showing us important plays and teaching the firsttime watcher of the superbowl, the concept of football. Please. There was no Susie Kolber as our sideline reporter during the game, but the spanish ESPN tried real hard to Americanize their broadcasting. They even got Latino girls dressed up as cheerleaders to stand in the background. Priceless.

There were a few major differences watching the superbowl in spanish. Obviously, total commentation was in spanish, which I didn´t mind. HOWEVER, I had high expectations to think that I would see the commercials. We didn´t- It was a little dissapointing at first, but after I watched the commercial about a man from Mexico who runs marathons (apparantly REally really well....) 9 times, and than watched the same Soccer goal from a sideline kick an additional 14 times, well...i guess you could say that these 2 SOLO commericals replaced the superbowl commercials sufficeintly. At least I know evertthing there is about our Mexican MarathonMan, and what i REALLY want to do, is watch 3 hours of running...nothing else next week. Geee, that sounds like a great afternoon of TV.

Other highlights of the game...
Ah...yes my favorite part. You know when they post silly questions on the TV...with whats your opinion...who is contributing most to the game tonight...yadayada... And you can TEXT your vote? Yea, well, when the polls came through, it was by people in Mexico. Not that the american publics thought on American Football makes the slightest difference to me, but I can tell you for sure, I have less care about what Mexico thinks about the Superbowl: During the second question, we were waiting for results tocome in from a small town in Guatemala. We´re still waiting for those results, I think they should arrive towards the end of the month whether or not Manning is keeping the team together.

Apparantly Chicago has a Latino player on the team. He doesn´t actuallyplay (at least i don´t think he does...) But the third commercial that we watched (third, and FINAL...we circulated these 3 commercials for 4 hours, splendid) was the personal interview of him. The funny part was his spansih was so bad, I could have been speaking. I don´t know if he is just really unintelligent (which has its possibilities), but the reality was, he didn´t even really know how to speak spanish...and he was the featured player for ESPN Vivo. Ha, i found it amusing.

As for the game... one of the more entertaining first quarters that I´ve seen. Although I prefer to concentrate on the halftime show, with Prince. He totally rocks.

No comments: