Monday, December 10, 2007

Arbol del Tule

25 minutes outside the city of Oaxaca, a town was built among a giant tree.
Arbol del Tule, or the tree of Tule has been around since the days of the big J-man. The tree is estimated to be over 2000 years old, with a diameter of 14.05 meters. (that's around 60 feet). Word around town has it that 60 something people can fit around the tree...that´s quite a protest.
The tree of Tule isn´t the oldest or largest tree in the world, but it is certainly a spectacle. I don´t know anywhere you can find a tree that is both so old, and big. If you do, leave me a message.

This particular cypress tree has certainly seen its share of settlers and conquistadors throughout time.
If we figure that the Clovis first inhabited the Americas a little over 10,000 years ago- than this singular tree has seen 20 percent of all civilization in the Americas. The tree was already 900 years old upon settlement of the Zapotecs (1100AD) , the first known cultural civilization since the Clovis people in this section of Mexico. It watched the development and the conquering by the Mixtecs soon after, in the 1200´s. Than the Aztecs came in the mid 1400´s. The tree stood strong through the Spanish invasion by Cortez in the early 1500´s, and was still standing to celebrate Mexico´s independence in 1821.
I might be wrong on some of these dates, but I´ve been keeping up on my history so this is the best retention that I could manage...and could miscalculate.

Well worth the 35 cent bus ride, although I had to stand throughout the entirety. It feels good to be back in Latin America and jumping on the chaotic transportation systems. The massive Arbol del Tule proved to be an incredible spectacle and masterpiece of what mother nature can create.

This picture I am posting isn´t taken by me- as mentioned in my previous post...my camera is broken.

No comments: