Monday, July 7, 2008

Windfarms and Jaws


Several weeks ago, I made the trip down to the South-Western tip of Australia and spent the week in Albany. As I accompanied Jeremy for his work, I had the week to explore the natural surroundings of the coast, spend time at the bays of the recent great-white shark attack, and view the spectacular Albany Wind Farm and Wallop Tree Top Valley.
Just 2 weeks prior to my visit, the coastline that is infiltrated with Western Oz surfers was disturbed by a great-white attack. A surfer was attacked early in the morning, but survived by the help of an onlooker from shore who came out to rescue him.
When you pull into the bay and beach area, I felt an overwhelming similarity to the site of "Jaws'" New England Town, Amity. A peaceful and quiet beach town that looks like bliss. We spent one afternoon walking the beach, and after Jeremy insisted jumping in the water for a cool down. I spent those 10 minutes scouring the waters for any dark objects. No fun. Luckily, there was nothing in site, but some other onlookers where giving us looks like we were insane foreigners. Which...we kinda are :-) No one else was in the water. (above pic is the new "amity", the bay of great whites)
(side note) 2 weeks after we returned home, there is an article in the newspaper with a photo of 2 swimmers in that bay with a giant black fin about 4 feet from them. Creepy!
During one of my days, I took a visit to the Albany Windfarm. Located right on the coast, the farm consists of twelve 1800 kW wind turbines. The wind farm produces about 77,000,000 units of electricity, but this depends on how windy the year is. The amount of energy supplies about 15,000 homes with electricity, and is "equivalent to about 75% of the City of Albany's electricity requirements" Now thats cool. The wind farm lowers greenhouse gas emissions by about 77,000 tonnes per year which is over 5000 family-households.
That should cover my daily ranting on tree-hugging.
Shall we not forget my trip to the animal farm. I always visit animal farms it seems, and this trip was no different. How could I pass up the opportunity to hold koala's and feed kangaroos? Well of course, I couldn't. And as usual, I was in personal heaven and want to live on a farm. And I want a pig. Big surprise.

No comments: