Monday, March 5, 2007

YMCA...my life











They call me the ¨gringa Chilena¨




I´ve really become a true YMCAér... My life revolves around this place. Not only do I sleep shower and exercise here, but I also eat, work, and and go to functions FOR the ymca. Its taken over my life. This past week, I joined my fellow Y peeps to attend an International Conference that was taking place at our sleepaway camp in the mountains, about 2 hours from Valpo. We had about 35 people total, 15 being our local chapter- and others from lower south-america-including Peru, Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay, and of course, myself and another girl living in Uruguay represented the US.

I felt like I was in JCY all over again, except the ages varied from 17-30 this time, instead of being in Highschool. However, everyone had the same spirit and similar attitiude that we had in JCY when I was younger. During the days, we had lecturers on the Services, Mission, Progams, etc for the YMCA´s at a local, and international level. However, during our free time, we played the same games that we play iwth the 8 year olds at camp, and truly, had just as much fun as the kids do.

At night, we had campfires and group activities, that were so stupid and silly, but just made us laugh for hours. Its great when adults (well, I don´t consider myself an adult...so SEMIadults) can still play like children, and enjoy simple things in life.
The entire lectures were (obviously) in spanish. I understood the main concepts, although some specifics were a little fuzzy for me. I had to give a ¨presentaion¨on international night, when each country presented something about their culture. Hmm, the US? Well, we don´t exactly have a SPECIFIC culture, or dance... but it was my first time having to speak spanish in front of a large group bymyself...I did OK!

After 4 days of no sleep, I am back in Valparaiso preparing for school! First day is tomorrow, which means I will be teaching classes real soon. oooh. New things keep coming my way.

No comments: