Monday, January 21, 2008

Tulum

Jan 10-14

Although we enjoyed our week in south-central Mexico, it has become clear to us (or maybe just me) that the coast is where I belong. After 7 days inland, I was craving the beach again. We quickly switched coasts and another night bus later, we have landed in Tulum, Mexico…the Caribbean- 2 hours south of Cancun.
The east coast of Mexico, also known as the Yucatan has an entirely different feel than the West coast. Here, American tourists take vacations and cruise-stops. The towns are much more tourist-oriented, and you don’t feel very far from home.
However, Tulum is different. The beaches have a fine white powder, the water is aqua blue, and there is actually silence. Granted, there are (more) Mayan Ruins here which are located ON the beach, making them quite a site (although I wouldn’t know because I never visited them even though they were 5 minutes from my hostel) for tourists, you can always find an isolated place on the beach without being bothered.

On our bus ride from Palenque we met 2 Swedish boys who come to the hostel with us. Within 2 days we also find 2 more Australian boys. The following day our Irish friend Paul, from Puerto Escondido finds us and once again, we have formed a new posse…quite quickly this time.
Jess and I spend our days renting bicycles and riding down the beach. We find secluded lagoons on walking paths where there is fresh water, completely still and clear amongst beautiful ferns and trees. We bike into nature reserves where turtles are being protected and there is silence for hours. I could live here. Eventually. Not now- I do realize that as much as I enjoy being on beach taking in the beautiful surroundings, I am certainly not ready to settle down and live the quiet life YET. I definitely have more of a purpose than that, but it IS nice.
Once again, Sunday rolls around and the Giants-Dallas game comes to attention. We spend the day at a tiny bar while I anxiously pace back and forth during the intense game. And to my disbelief, they win…what a great day it was.
Our 7-point-posse leaves Tulum together, not knowing that our next destination will bring overwhelming feelings of tourist-ville Mexico.

No comments: