Friday, December 29, 2006

beef. its whats for dinner again

Chile was too chilly for my likings. On to warmer climate, and as quick as a snap...I´m back to Mendoza, Argentina. Well, actually, it wasn´t quick as a snap, or easy whatsoever getting back to Argentina, although there was defintly potential for it to be so. First the bus from Valdivia to Santiago, Chile. An overnighter which I´ve actually grown quite fond of. Cama-reclining seats which allow good sleeping, movies, and a little snack with some wine. Except this bus was the bad egg. Their was no audio with the movie, and no subtitles. What fun is that just watching a soundless screen? Well, I´ll tell you- no fun. The food was cookies and I´m dulce-leche´d out. Too many sweets. And I didn´t sleep at all because some teenager boy thought it was an appropriate time to talk and laugh on his cellphone in the middle of the night. Those who know me know how irritable and non-tolerable I am in these situations. So...we get to Santiago at 8am, to find we missed the closest bus time to leave for Mendoza, so we sit around for a few hours and catch the 1100am bus.
Mendoza, Argentina is very close to santiago, right across the border. In distance, it should only take about 2 hours, except the large structural seperation between the two is the Andes Mountains. Instead, we literally drive through the mountains, up the mountains, down the mountains, in circles around the moutains, in sketchy tunnels under the mountains, and thus, it takes about 7 hours. PLUS, there is border crossing. Considering there are about 300 busses a day crossing, you would think there would be some organization to this. But there isn´t. Instead we wait for 2 hours.
BUT, don´t get excited yet...the best is yet to come. I already experienced a baby puking incident on my plane from Boston to Miami, preceding my arrival to Argentina. Although I had to sit next to smelly sour milk vomit for 3 hours, at least it wasn´t actually on my person...this time it was much worse.
Our bus from santiago to mendoza is full...and of course, we get the lsat tickets whcih places us directly in front of the bathrooms. EW. To make matters worse, there is a family sitting in front of us, who resemble a cross of the adams family and the brady bunch. They are the family from hell with 10 people coexisitng in the seats ALL around us. Little annnoying kids screaming and crying...toddlers running around, 13 year olds being brats..i wanted to suffocate myself in the formaldehyde-smelling bathroom. At one point, a girl runs to the bathroom...when she emerges, she has vomit all over her butt of her jeans, and in route out of the bathroom, swings her ass into me as I innocently sit and anxiously count the 500 minutes left til we arrive in mendoza. SWISSSSSSH. Vomit, all over my arm, my hair, my shirt....ms. fat ass didn´t even acknowledge what she did, or that he butt was taking up more than the aisle, but also pushing into my personal space...LETALONE the vomit! I scream out...both in shock and utter dismay. I freeze...i¨m speechless. THere is VOMIT in my hair. I´m suddenly gagging, and the old man next to me is wiping my shirt with toilet paper. EWWW!! soooo gross. I have to sit on a bus wioth puke in my hair for 6 more hours, and I JUST washed my clothes before I left Chile!! SO, needless to say.. i wanted to strangle all annoying children that bothered me for the duration of the ride, and the vomit girl never apologized. No Lo Siento. No Disculpeme. NOTHING. I´ve never wanted to know how to say stupid b$tch in spanish more than I did at this moment.
HOWVER, i am now in mendoza. Its hot, beautiful, sunnny, and there is a pool at my hostel. So aftrer my 24 hours from hell on the bus, things are good.

No comments: