Friday, December 22, 2006

to Pucon and beyond.

I made the plunge. I not only left Bariloche after a week of chilly weather, but I jumped the border to Chile.

Bariloche had potential to be wonderful... with the exception that the Irish Bar wouldn´t let me in because I was wearing flipflops (so of course, I borrowed a random girls shoes from the side fo the road to walk in with, and then promptly put my flippers back on), and, my final day where we decided to rent bikes.
It was actually blue sky when we awoke, so we had high hopes for the 35 kilometer bike circuit. I definitly had confidence that I could bike 20miles, unfortunately, my confidence was squashed, and rightfully so. The entire loop was a giant hill. What goes up must come down, eventually, right? NO. It didn´t...ever. My legs where burning and with 10 kilometeres left, it was pouring rain and cold. Carolynn and I were miserable at this point, and I´m yelling to the wilderness since we are in the middle of NOWHERE, that I¨M NOT HAVING FUN ANYMORE... At this point, we are at a slow acsent up the hill from hell, and I yell ahead that I´m pulling over and sacrificing my bike to the lake next to us.... As I say this, low and behold, like something from above shining through, there is a sign in the middle of nowhere, directly to our left, for a Cerveceria, an Artesenal Brewery with local beer. WHOOOOO! I´m soaking wet, and tired, and freezing, and truly was about to giveup...
instead, we drank beer for 3 hours and found a nice man to put our bikes into his truck and drive us back to the rental place, where we then hitched another ride back into town.

True story. But that was my final straw of Bariloche.

I awoke yesterday, and immediately packed my bags and went to the bus station. Apparantly I was late, as the bus I was hoping to take was about to leave. The terminal guy tells me to run to the bus and hop on, without a ticket. OK... I´m supposedly headed to some small town in Chile, but I don´t know exactly where it is, or if this bus even takes me tehre directly! It doesn´t, and 4 hours into the ride, they ask for my ticket, haha, which I don´t even have. But I met a lovely israeli ont he bus who was also headed to the same destination, so he helped me find my transfer ticket, and ah...I´m now in Pucon, Chile. Tiny village with a population of 6000 people, surrounded by volcanos (active) and hotsprings. I think I´ll leave tomorrow to go tothe beach though, I need some heat.

No comments: