Thursday, December 7, 2006

Iguazu Falls





Words will certaintly do no justice to the immensity of the falls, and the spectacular views that I had when hiking through Iguazu yesterday. I will really attempt to post a picture on this soon, but theres just too many frickin buttons in spanish that I have to play with...

After my first afternoon of lounging at the pool and playing a whole lot of ping pong, I attempted to get to sleep a little early so I could wake up for my 930am departure to the falls the following morning.
I decided not to buy the package through the hostel that includeds the entire tour through the park, because I figured that I am just as capable of touring myself around (I think quite highly of myself)... and for the first time probably ever, i was right. I met this lovely older person from my hostel who is Peruvian so we decided to walk the trails together. Igauzu has over 100 cascading waterfalls that all converge at several different points throughout the park, and the scenery is magnificient. There are about 6 different trails to walk that take you to different waterfalls, and it takes a full 7 hours to see it all.

By noon it was getting so hot outside that i felt my body becoming a little slippery...no good, so we decided that was a perfect time for the boat ride. They load about 25 people into a boat and practically drive you directly under one of the waterfalls, and you can´t see anything, get totally soaked, and its terrific! Perfect cooldown. We started to get hungry and we were looking for a nice place to sit and eat our sandwiches. We decided to hike, or more like climb down this small ravine of boulders to get to the river so we could have lunch right under one of the falls. Seemed like a great idea, minus my lovely flipflops that I was wearing. The moral of that story was taht I have proved that I can successfully rockclimb and maneuver in my flipflops under any circumstance. I think I already knew that I was skilled in the art of wearing flipflops for everything, but this certaintly proved it.

So round comes 130, just a little after lunch. We are walking across a river (On a bridge, not through the river, come on people) when out of nowhere, the sky becomes black and opens up on us. Sweet. We figure that its just the typical jungle shower, which should be over in 20 minutes. The rain subsides and we emerge from our hiding and decide to take the looong walk across the `devils throat` which is about 3 kilometers across the bridges to the BIG site that Brasil also shares with Argentina.
It is absolutely incredible. My immediate thought when looking at the calm water 5 feet before the falls is watching Last of the Mohicans, its unbelievable looking. Brasil is across the falls on the other side, and you can see the people over there also admiring the immensity of it. About 20 meters higher than Niagra, its still no comparison because there are sooo many waterfalls throughout the park. And, to top it off, theres a rainbow directly in the center. wow.

As we start to walk back, the sky opens up again with a strike of lightning, immediately followed by a HUGE clash of thunder. Hmm, we are on a metal bridge in the middle of the river with nowhere to go to. I might as well hold up a golf club too. Theres nothing that we can do, and theres no purpose in running...we aren´t even close to the end so we just continue our casual walk through the pouring rain. Good thing because otherwise I wouldn´t have spotted the crocodile below us in the water.

After 3 hours of our bodies being beyond the point of saturation, where it is no longer hot and sunny, but chilly and pouring, our transfer FINALLY picks us up at takes us back to the hostel.
It was the BBQ night where I consumed an abnormally large amount of beef, than we watched some brasilian dancers who performed for us, and also tried to teach us samba (it didn´t work), and then the night ended on the patio where everyone convened til approx. 5am. good times.

No comments: