Saturday, January 20, 2007

Crux del Sur

¨When you see the Southern Cross for the first time, you understand now why you came this way. Cause the truth you may be running from is so small. But it´s as big as the promise, the promise of a coming day..... ¨

Since my arrival in the Southern Hemisphere, I have been searching the sky at night for the Crux Del Sur, the Southern Cross. We´ve all heard Crosby, Stills, and Nash sing their tunes about it, but I needed to see it with my own eyes. It took 7 weeks, but last night, we (the stars and I) became acquainted with eachother. There was so much built-up anticipation in seeing it, that I almost expected some neon blue cluster of stars. It wasn´t quite that tremendous, but in fact, still very cool. There are 2 other constellations that resemble the Southern Cross, so at first I was slightly confused. It really was exciting for me, perhaps because I´ve been asking every local person I meet to show me, and there are always mountains surrounding us that are in the way. I suppose its a bonus of travelling to the southern hemisphere, I get to experience new constellations and galaxies above...how cool is it to know that sailors used these stars as their navigation..? I think its pretty amazing. Since I have no knowledge of astronomy, I may buy a book, in spanish, to teach me a little more. i´ll get back to everyone on my progress.... In Santiago, they apparantly have some observatories, so i may make a trip once I return next weekend from sleepaway camp in the mountains.

This evening there is a huge Tango competition in Valpo with dancers from Argentina. A group of the dancers are staying at the Y with us, and I got a personal lesson the other evening on the balcony from some suave looking guy. I do enjoy the decor that the dancers wear....men in suits with those great top hats....I´m a big fan.

No comments: