Monday, January 1, 2007

feliz año nuevo

I didn´t make a new years resolution. Probably because resolutions are usually made while sitting at a table with your friends or family, and around the time of midnight, you make your newest vow on how to change your life for the better. Well, I was thrown into the pool 5 minutes prior to new years, so I missed the opportunity to sit around and relish over this notion that I´m actually NOT perfect, and need to do something new.... why would I want that?

Actually, when I first arrived in Mendoza, I was struck by how beautiful the people are... seriously. Both men and women...they are all perfectly fit, and not South Beach plastic surgery style fit, just actually in shape and good looking. So, this inspired me to join the gym next to my hostel, where I have (believe it or not) been running and exercising almost everyday...and taking classes with intimdating names like ´bodyhard´.

So although I have no resolution, I am trying to lessen the excess fat which sits so nicely on the side of my stomache. I guess I could just cut out the icecream that I eat everyday, but that would totally ruin my experience of South America. Icecream is a staple of the countries I´ve been to, and I´m certaintly not going to deprive myself of experiencing the bliss of eating Kilos of deliciosness with a friend.

Since I have no resolution...I will make a list of things I´ve learned in this past year, so I can benefit from my experiences for 2007.

1. Toilet Paper goes in the basket next to the toilet...not in it. get used to it.
2. Pedestrians NEVER have the right of way, regardless of what street signs may say.
3. When ordering any complete meal in Argentina, be prepared for a slice of Ham and Cheese to accompany whatever food you got...including Hamburgers, steak, and lasagna.
4. Tooth paste is called creme del dente. sounds like soup, but don´t order it.
5. Embarazado is not embarrased, its pregnant.
6. Although it is important to try new food, a line must be drawn when it includes tongue, hoof, or unidentifiable seafood.
7. Biking is only fun when you have a car to drive you back when you get lazy.
8. Despite criticism for bringing too much underwear on my trip...it allows me extra time without doing laundry. Good move all around.
9. Border control doesn´t like it when you are friendly to them. Don´t smile, approach as one would approach the soup nazi. Be careful, or NO entry to argentina for 90 days.
10. The bus attendant expects you to tip him when all he did was serve you stale coffee during a 10 hour trip.
11. Taxi drivers lie. So do boys.
And finally, for the conclusion of what I´ve learned in late 2006....
12. Book exchanges in hostels will without doubt ALWAYS have at least one Norah Roberts, and Danielle Steele book. NOTE TO SELF...DON´T SUCCOMB AND SWAP YOUR BOOK FOR ONE

No comments: