Tuesday, January 16, 2007

its fun to see you at the YMCA


10 minutes from where I´m living in Chile


tengo llegè en Chile.
today was day 2 of daycamp...whoo! I´ve now completed 19 hours of work in 2 days, I feel pretty good about myself, not gonna lie.

The morning began at 930 when I head downstairs. (I live, AND work at the Y...how convenient). Actually, my morning begins around 630am when basketball begins in the gym, which is located directly next to my room, and the basket is somewhat level to my wall. Really nice. So I wake up muuuy temprano porque i head THUMP THUMP as my alarm clock. It works I suppose.

Once I mozy downstairs and help myself to some breakfast in the cafeteria, its time to be overwhelmed by little niños. There are 3 groups, 5-7, 8-9, and 10-12. I prefer 8 and above, the little ones are totally insane.

Today, I didn´t have a particular group I worked with. For the morning, I was in the kitchen with LuLu, and the 3 age groups came to us, and we cooked with them. Well, not actually cook. We made a cake (ifyou would call it such....), or crackers and dulce leche, this disgustingly sweet caramel cream, that is used for everything here. Personally, it makes me want to vomit (not on the person next to me though..I would never), but these southamericans really love it. The first group was the older kids, who meticulously made their cakes, spreading dulceleche carefully and neatly on each cracker. It was a good hour. Next, the middle kids. They were slightly more messy, tending to eat the dulceleche while creating their tarts, and also were more Attention-Deficit-like than the older kids, but it still was a success. THAN, the little niños. What an insane sight. First of all, their attention span lasts for 6 seconds, so explaining them the instructions is totally impossible. In addition, their is caramel EVERYWHERE. hands, shirts, mouths, hair, toes...you name it. It was such a rediculous site for an hour...unbelievable. Somehow, I managed to acquire a layer of caramel that is now residing all over my tshirt and shorts. I also found some wedged in my flipflops. Ha. It happens. The afternoon was a little more subdued as I chose to play sports for the remaining duration of the day. This was good except while we were playing soccer, I landed a hard kick directly to my kneecap...and not only is it bright blue, but also quite painful. I know, its hard to believe, i played soccer. I have no idea what im doing, but its ok because I´m playing against 9 year olds. They still beat me. so now, at 7pm,. the kiddies have finally left, and my day is over. Its a long day here at the Y... but I still found some time to run to the cafe to write a quick blog.
As for Valparaiso, Chile, its a wonderful place. I´m living on the top floor of the YMCA, in a 4 person room that is about the size my bathroom at home. Luckily, I have the room to myself, so I have 3 beds to put my crap on,but still, its tight. The people are all great and everyone is soo friendly here. My world is completly in spanish now...while I was travelling previously, there was a mixture of languages since I was constantly around other international travelers, but now, i´m around all chileans. Its tough at times, especially since i´m at a level of a 9year old...but actually, the 9 year olds are better than I am, because they speak sooooooo fast taht I have NO idea waht they are saying. Imagine a really high pitched voice, rambling off words, and than at the end asking me, sì ??? uh, no, i didn´t understand. I prefer speaking to adults, since I can manage to understand what they are saying, and its not three octaves higher than my voice. Although, if i can learn spanish in Chile, its safe to say I can speak ANYWHERE. Its a well known fact down here that chileans speak the fastest, and are the hardest to understand. They think its ok to not use constinants in their speaking, or say the last 4 letters of each word. It sounds like jibberish, but its the ultimate spanish to conquer....so here i go

uptop are some pics from today that i thought were funny...















No comments: